Saturday 26 January 2019

My Tryst With KumbhMela


It was my inner calling that brought me to the Triveni Sangham (Meeting of Three River's) the merging of river Yamuna, Ganga and the mystical Saraswati, to be here exactly on the auspicious period of Kumbh Mela at Prayargh, Allahabad.

Wanted to be at the exact point of the Sangham, boatman Kaka made sure of that. I was accompanied by Mr & Mrs Sushil from Varanasi, strangers who were destined to share my experience.

I took a dive from the platform, almost breast level, the freezing water had a numbing effect for a few seconds, but slowly I felt a calming sense.

After taking the third dip head in the water there was this feeling of nothingness which I have never felt. I guess the fusion of being overwhelmed by being at the Kumbh, the Triveni Sangham, and the freezing water gave this adrenaline rush that I have never felt before.

At that fleeting moment everything stopped, but I know I was there, I was conscious, but there was nothing.

I liked that feeling.

After that, experience, I had the most colourful sight visiting the Baba's tents, they are the most eccentric people that I have ever seen.










India has always been an enigma. For many these Baba's could be a "Tamasha", for others it could be a photography feast, and to the faithful, a blessing is hoped, but very few, really attempted to understand this way of life. From the interaction I had with a few of them, their purpose seems as diverse as they are.  But to me they are not only intriguing but very inspiring too. 

And of course what is a festival without traders. They come in all shapes and sizes. Amazing entrepreneurial talent. This in it self is feast to the eyes.




I am still recovering from the overwhelming effect of this experience, truly humbling. 


These Siberian seagulls are migratory birds, who travel thousands of miles from the harsh winters of the Siberian hinterland. They will be a common sight till March.

The entire event has shown me how small the 'i' is. 

The more I seem to know, the more I realise how much I don't know. 

My dear friend Harish, from Varanasi shared a quote yesterday, he said "We are so obsessed of using a telescope to see things afar but failed to see within oneself using a microscope." A simple analogy but with profound wisdom. 

The search continues..............


ravi varmman
26 January 2019
21.51
Varanasi
India.

Note:
My friend Harish and wife run a Homestay at Varanasi. Great people, wonderful hospitality.
Contact: homestayvaranasi.in 



4 comments:

  1. Your are a very lucky person Ravi.Many times wanted to visit but the calling its still not there yet.
    Enjoy yourself and i am you're enlightened at your own path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All in good time, best wishes to you on your journey.

      Delete